Friday, September 1, 2023

Challenges

Several years ago, I challenged myself to walk all of the trails in one of the state parks.

In 2021, I hiked one of the trails in Devil’s Lake State Park. It was exhilarating, but I also thought I could have killed myself. I’ll never get to all the trails in that park.

Last year, I walked all of the trails in Bewabic State Park in Michigan. And I hoped to accomplish that goal in a different state park each year. 

This year, as you can certainly guess, I didn’t come close. One day, I stopped by our nearest state park the end of July and walked a very paltry section of its trails. Okay, to be honest, most of what I hiked was on the handicap accessible path. I’m pathetic.

But guess what? It is only September 1. Maybe we will have a long, comfortable autumn, and now that my back is doing quite a bit better, I’ll be able to get out and explore before snow falls.

Hope you’ve been able to get out and enjoy all that the outdoors of your area has to offer. And if not, there is always tomorrow, or next week, or next year. Just don’t give up.

Or if you really want a challenge – well, I still can’t believe I climbed up this wall in 2015 in Hell’s Gate National Park in Kenya. If I could do that, you can do anything.

No comments: