Sunday, September 17, 2023

Ultimate Surge Protector

 


 I depend on God alone; I put my hope in him. He alone protects and saves me; he is my defender, and I shall never be defeated. My salvation and honor depend on God; he is my strong protector; he is my shelter. (Psalm 62:5-7, Good News Translation)

If you thought last Sunday’s post about my hardwood floors was a stretch, hold on to your stocking caps. Here I go again.

On December 15, 2021, the power went out in our house during a winter storm. We’ve survived many a Wisconsin winter, so we fired up the generator outside and made due. The electricity came on two days later. Fleetingly. Something sparked and snapped and the power went out again. Apparently, it was some sort of power surge and the lights were out this time until the wee hours of December 19.

During that time, we ran a gas lantern in the bedroom for heat and light, during the daytime only, when we hoped we’d notice carbon monoxide poisoning before we passed out. I thought the burning odor I continued to smell was from that.

Come Sunday morning, when the power was back on, we discovered that the power surge a few days before had fried both our garage door openers, several light bulbs, and all of our surge protectors. The one in the bedroom actually burned a spot in the hard wood floor. That was the burning odor I kept smelling.

And every time I vacuum that spot in the floor, I still see that tiny cross.

Thinking about the beauty of my floors last week, it dawned on me how beautiful that particular mark is. Those power strips saved many of our electrical devices from being destroyed. When there is a power surge, those strips sacrifice themselves for your benefit.

Just like Jesus sacrificed Himself on the cross for us. I guess He is the ultimate surge protector.

No comments: