Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Historic St. Feriole Island – Camping at Wyalusing, Blog post #3

 St. Feriole Island is the site of the earliest activities in Prairie du Chien. It was the center of the fur trade, home of the first Fort Crawford, site of the Battle of Prairie du Chien in 1814, and home to Villa Louis.

While we were camping at nearby Wyalusing State Park, we spent an afternoon visiting the Island.

Currently named the Dousman House and used as an event venue, this grand building was originally a hotel. Built in the mid-1860s, it served railroad passengers traveling through the area.

This is the Depot Bar and Grill. I’m not sure if it’s the original depot from the 1800s, but it sits along the old railroad tracks.

The Mississippi River flows across from the Depot and Dousman House.

Lawler Park Interpretive Rock Building.


The Brisbois House. I don’t know where my head was that day – oh, yeah, I was just whining about my back ache. Anyway, that whole area has a massive amount of history and each of the many 1800s buildings has a long story to tell. Unfortunately, I was too hazy that day to put it all together.

Here’s a good website which lists most of the buildings on the island: https://www.prairieduchien.org/historical-sites/#:~:text=St.,the%20Chicago%2C%20Milwaukee%20%26%20St.

The original Fort Crawford.

Villa Louis is the chocolate chips in the chocolate chip cookies on St. Feriole Island.

Unfortunately, it was closed the day we were there, but with all the road construction around it, I’m not sure it would have been open all week.

But I’ve been in lots of old houses. The sculpture park nearby was just as fascinating, I thought.

But I’m not gonna lie.

I thought these guys playing Frisbee golf were the most fascinating. I never in a million years imagined that they would have different sizes of Frisbees for each “hole”. I lead such a sheltered life.


No comments: