Friday, May 1, 2020

Aptly Named Spirit Falls

A week ago, on another beautiful spring day, Hubby and I took a ride to an area just 15 of so miles west of where we live.

I’ve driven past Spirit Falls dozens of times, and sometime in my childhood, we surely stopped. I just can’t remember it clearly. All the rides I went on with my parents kind of blur together.

Anyway, there is also a lot of history about the area, which I should know. I know I’ve heard it or read it, and I’m sure it’s on the internet. Actually, I think there is a book on this topic for sale at a store in town, which is probably closed for now due to COVID19. I should have bought that book when I had the chance.

The reason I should know more of the history of this area is that my mom’s ancestors helped settle the area. Long story, which I will share another time. Today, you just want to see my pictures.  
The Spirit River off of Bridge Avenue, looking west. 
The Spirit River off of Bridge Avenue, looking east.  



The Spirit River, just west of the Falls. 

Here we are, at the Spirit Falls. 


I know there had to be a dam and a mill at the Falls at one time. 

What's left of some sort of foundation. 

But I always come back to running water. 

Last look at the Fall. 

No trip to the Spirit area is complete without a stop at my great-grandmother's grave.
She was born in Prussia in 1849 and died in Spirit in 1893. I really need to write down her story. 

Fascinating old barn. 

And equally fascinating old house. 

I'd like to know the story of this old church. 

And the boots hanging outside its door. 

Our ride was made complete by spying this guy ambling down the side of the road. 

Best part was when he turned to wander off and I got a view of the bottom of his foot. Doesn't it look so soft???
I know, I'm just weird. 

No comments: