Sunday, September 13, 2020

Asking for Forgiveness

  If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them. (James 4:17, New International Version)

The other day I heard someone say something which stopped me in my tracks. I can’t remember exactly what it was, but I took it to mean something like, “this is what’s wrong with Christians – they think they are above other people because they say they believe in God, but they just keep right on sinning”. I was caught so off-guard that I couldn’t respond. And besides what could I possibly say?

Well, actually, I would like to say something like this. I am a poor, miserable sinner just like everyone else. I am so far from perfect that I feel guilty just praying to God to ask for forgiveness. I pray for patience and acceptance and humility and gentleness and a long list of other attributes which I struggle with.

“Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” (Matthew 26:41, New International Version)

So, why can’t God just heal me of my sins? Grant me patience and kindness and a gentle spirit, so that I wouldn’t keep having to sin and ask for His forgiveness.

I don’t know and maybe I’m not supposed to know. It’s not for me to question why God made me the way He did. I try to be a good person, I really do. I try to obey the commandments. But I continue to fail miserably. I fly off the handle with little provocation. And I know I treat others unkindly.

 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9, New International Version)

Last night in church, the sermon was on forgiveness. God will forgive me; all I have to do is ask and remember the very little He asks of me. And then ask for forgiveness from others. 

 “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.” (Matthew 18:35, New International Version)

2 comments:

omagoose said...

I certainly relate, Sister!

Unknown said...

I am so in that same situation... in need of daily forgiveness. So glad we serve as God as our Father to whom we can go to at any moment and receive His covenantal Promises for His forgiveness... Thanks for your post, Chris <3