Sunday, September 20, 2020

May you have Peace

With everything going on in the world right now, I wanted to write about peace today. Couldn’t we all use a big dose of that in our hearts right now? I wrote the following blog post last year on April 28. I’m not sure what was going on then, or if it was just something that God put on my heart that day. But it seemed so totally suited to how I’m feeling today, so I thought it right that I share it again.

    Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. James 1:12 (NIV)

 When bad things happen, people sometimes blame God. They say, “a loving God wouldn’t let these things happen”. Or “if there really was a God, I wouldn’t have to go through these struggles.”

    Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV)

 Nowhere in the Bible does it say that life will be easy. In fact it says otherwise.

    “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 (NIV)

 In times of trial, instead of turning from God, we need to lay all our burdens on Him.

    “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)

 I’ve added one more verse to this original post. I thought it also quite fitting.

    “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27 (NIV)

 May God bless you all with His peace. 



No comments: