Sunday, September 27, 2020

Disappointment and Travel Plans

 More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not disappoint us, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit which has been given to us. (Romans 5:3-5, Revised Standard Version)

Shortly before the pandemic, a friend and I made plans to go to Cambodia this fall. As in the end of September, as in I should be in Cambodia right now. I’ve wanted to go to Cambodia since I was in sixth grade. I know, it’s maybe not high on too many people’s bucket lists, but I can’t help who I am and what I’m fascinated with.

As you certainly realized, I did not go to Cambodia. I have not been on a plane or out of the country since coming home from Kenya eleven and a half months ago. Am I disappointed? Of course. Am I devastated? No, of course not. I will continue to hope to get there some day.

In the meantime, I turned that disappointment into a family trip to a cabin up north. The cabin and our surroundings are beautiful, the fall foliage is at its peak. Am I going to enjoy the color on the trees? Of course. Am I going to witness maximum color? No, of course not, because the forecast is overcast with little chance of sun all week. We had rain off and, on all day, yesterday. And our first night here, we had a tornado warning!  

But just because things don’t seem to be perfect, doesn’t mean they aren’t. I’ll still have these six days with my son, daughter and son-in-law and their dogs, sharing adventures and laughs and love.

Thank You, Lord, for giving me this vacation, a chance to spend time with my family and enjoy the wonders of the world, if not around the world but within the world where I live. Amen.

No comments: