Friday, January 31, 2020

Flash-Forward Friday

I originally posted this on January 31, 2020. The beginning of that year had so much going for it. Then you all know what happened - stupid pandemic. Who would have ever thought? 

So this trip that year got cancelled, and the year after that, and the year after that we were still kinda hesistant. So 2023, the trip of a lifetime was finally going to happen. And once again it did not - stupid back pain. (I would be in Cambodia right now, if it wasn't for that stupid back!)

Shall we really shoot for September of 2024. Should I continue flash-forwarding it? I'm hoping. 

Do you ever remember something from your past with such clarity that you sometimes think you made it up? I do that a lot. A Lot!

But there was a day when I was in sixth grade, when, for some reason, in some class, we learned about the ancient temples of Angkor Wat in Cambodia. I was beyond fascinated. I told myself that someday, somehow, I would go there, I would see this place in person.

Here comes the Flash-forward part. I’m going there in the fall!!!! I found a volunteer trip for adventurers 50-years-old and older, and my friend who has gone to Kenya with me twice already is game to tag along.

In addition to seeing the many tourist sites in Cambodia, we will experience Cambodian culture first-hand, by immersing ourselves in the Khmer culture, experiencing life in Cambodia with the locals, learning about the history of Cambodia and the Khmer Rouge era, and assisting locals in any way. Yikes! Sounds like a full two weeks!
 We signed up shortly before Christmas, and though I’ve told quite a few people already, I’ve been holding out on making an announcement. But I couldn’t wait any longer!

As usual, whenever I get this kind of wanderlust, Hubby is immensely supportive, as attested to by my surprise Christmas present. Thanks, Honey, for always supporting me.

As the time gets closer – I’ll be leaving in just less than eight months – I’ll share more details. Wish me luck! 

Here's the website again of the group we are going with:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am officially jealous! I have had Angkor Wat on the top.of my bucket list for the last ten years! Can't wait to hear about this adventure!

Denise said...

Hopefully my phone let's me post here,I have had problems with that lately. I can't wait & I'm excited to be part of your dream. Thank you.

Chris Loehmer Kincaid said...

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it and can't wait for my next adventure.