Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Word of the Year Teaser


     Since 2014, I’ve chosen a Word of the Year. A word to guide me, to inspire, to maybe keep me on track or bring me back.

Throughout the years, those words have been: Acceptance, Anticipation, Possibility, Peace and Serenity, and Purpose (the Lord’s purpose). The word for 2019 was Gift. That one didn’t work out so well, as the year seemed to be anything but a gift. Or maybe I missed the boat on the whole concept. Maybe I didn’t see the Gift in all the bad things that happened over the year, or maybe I didn’t ask God to show me the Gift in all of that. Or more likely, I totally forgot about the Word of the Year thing and focused more on just getting through each day.

But here we are a week into a new year already. And here I am at one a.m. typing this, wide awake for yet another night, unable to sleep, my mind all over the map. My husband says I have too many boxes open in my head. Perhaps. But I work to close all those boxes, put to rest all my thoughts and cares, and still I lay there awake, with a peaceful mantra going through my head or even counting sheep (believe it or not, I have resorted to that, but looking at all those sheep, my head goes off on another tangent).

Last week, I chose my word for this year, but I’m thinking that maybe I should change it to Sleep.
 When you lie down, you will not be afraid;
    when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. 
Proverbs 3:24 (New International Version)

Along with my Word of the Year, I find a Bible verse to go along with it. I just checked my BibleGateway source and there are 111 verses containing the word sleep. I could keep digging and find an even better, more inspirational verse. Maybe.

So I searched for the word that I had already chosen, and that one is in 232 verses. I think that one is the winner, hopefully, the one which I can carry with me throughout the year. Which might be inspirational enough to allow me to sleep on nights like this.

You’ll have to check back on Friday for the big reveal.
 When I started looking for pictures of a bed to go with the theme of sleep . . .
 . . . who would have thought I would have taken this many pictures of beds from my last trip to Kenya. 


No comments: