Thursday, September 9, 2021

The First Discovery of the Trip – Blog Post #5 Camping in Michigan

First of all, I need to apologize for not posting this yesterday. The Labor Day holiday on Monday has me off by a day all week. At least I’m not alone; no one seems to know what day it is!

But when I was on vacation camping in the UP in July, we didn’t need to know what day it was. All I needed to know was where my waterfalling book was. When I page through that book, I’m stunned at how few waterfalls I’ve actually been to in upper Michigan.

Dino is stunned too. But he’s also always up for a new adventure, as long as it’s a short walk.

This first section of the Tioga River was right in the roadside park. I don’t remember ever being there, as hard to believe as that is.

We didn’t know how far this trail would lead, so Hubby and the pup headed back to the truck.

You know me, though. No path is too long where a waterfall is concerned. 

This trail was quite short, something around five hundred feet is all. And if the water drop was short, I didn’t mind because the setting was perfectly peaceful and beautiful.


This poor little waterfall didn’t even have a name – I’ve run across quite a few labeled “Unnamed Falls”. Seems kind of sad.


The actual Tioga Falls is a mile and a half north of this one, as the crow flies. Which is the only way to get there, according to the guidebook. Studying Google Maps, I think we could get to it. There’s always next year.

Location of the Tioga River Roadside Park - https://www.waterfallsofthekeweenaw.com/tioga-river/tioga-park-falls/

No comments: