Sunday, September 12, 2021

Carry Us

   Oh, praise the Lord, for he has listened to my pleadings! He is my strength, my shield from every danger. I trusted in him, and he helped me. Joy rises in my heart until I burst out in songs of praise to him. The Lord protects his people and gives victory to his anointed king. Defend your people, Lord; defend and bless your chosen ones. Lead them like a shepherd and carry them forever in your arms. (Psalm 28:6-9, The Living Bible)

As you are all aware, yesterday was the twentieth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on the United States. Sometimes it seems like it was yesterday; other times, it still feels surreal. Like – how could that have happened in this country?

In the past two decades, how could there have there been so many school shootings? Race riots? Police violence and violence against the police? Anger and deception and hatred? Not to mention - wildfires, hurricanes, earthquakes, and other natural disasters?

It makes me think of that song by Billy Joel from 1990 - “We Didn’t Start the Fire.” The lyrics remind me that every generation has had its share of problems.

Which is true. But.

I just want things to calm down, for our planet to renew itself, for people to be at peace. For the Lord to carry me – to carry all of us – forever. Amen. 

No comments: