Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Pain

Why is there no end to my pain? And why will my hurt not be healed? Will You be to me like a river that flows with water some of the time and is dry at other times? (Jeremiah 15:18, New Life Version)

We’ve all dealt with our share of pain. If you’ve followed this blog for a while, you may recall my kidney stone, bursitis, and broken foot.

But physical pain isn’t all we deal with. Over the last two years, we’ve all faced emotional pain as we’ve watched loved ones suffer and die in this pandemic. We’ve had concerns about our government and the environment, as well as fears from escalating violence. Some days, it’s a struggle to find anything to smile about.

For me, most recently, it’s been mental pain, as our clinic has transitioned to a new electronic health record. I just cannot cram any more information into my head. When I had a massage last Friday, I asked my therapist if there was any way to massage my brain; that’s the muscle with the most tension right now.

But why write about all these pains now, when we should be celebrating the upcoming joyous season of Christmas? Because we need to remember the reason for this season. If Jesus hadn’t come to this earth as a helpless baby all those centuries ago, we would feel every one of those pains with so much more intensity. We would only have despair and hopelessness. Instead we can look to Christ’s second coming and the time when all our pains will be erased.  

He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever. (Revelation 21:4, New Living Translation)

Another pain I experienced this week – more work had to be done in our bathroom to fix this problem. But God has even got those kinds of pains taken care of. 

No comments: