Friday, December 31, 2021

Prosperity

             But the meek will inherit the land and enjoy peace and prosperity. (Psalm 37:11, New International Version)

I wasn’t going to write a blog today. It’s New Year’s Eve and you all have other things to do than to read my drivel. I also thought I’d written about all the P words already this month. Time to move on, right?

Then I woke up this morning, and God planted the word “prosperity” on my heart.

We might have mixed feelings about that word. What comes to my mind is the Ghost of Christmas present from the 1985 version of A Christmas Carol. The character is dressed in a green, velvet robe, surrounded by a smorgasbord of rich foods, lite candles, and all that glitters. (Sorry if you never saw that particular movie; maybe we are still enough in the Christmas season that you can find it on TV.)

I’m not sure why that’s the picture I have of prosperity, but that’s just what’s in my head. All the food one could what, expensive clothes, a lot of light to chase away anything bad, and silver and gold.

But those are all earthly possessions, things that don’t last, that won’t have any value in the end. What makes us rich is having loved ones around us, having joy in our hearts, and having Jesus as our Savior.  

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11, New International Version)



Yes, I love my new kitchen cupboards, but my family is what makes me feel prosperous. 
 

No comments: