Sunday, February 25, 2024

Three in One

       Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father. That is all we need.”

       Jesus replied, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and yet you still don’t know who I am? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father! So why are you asking me to show him to you? Don’t you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words I speak are not my own, but my Father who lives in me does his work through me. Just believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. Or at least believe because of the work you have seen me do. (John 14:8-11)

Sometimes it’s hard to comprehend that God is three persons in one – the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. What did Jesus mean when he said that his Father was in him and he was in his Father? It didn’t make sense to the disciples who lived with Jesus; how can it possibly make sense to us?

I was visiting Holy Hill Basilica in Southeast Wisconsin many years ago, when I overheard a little girl asking her mother what it meant that God was three people in one.

The mother replied, “Well, your daddy is one person as your daddy, another person as my husband, and a third person as the manager of where he works.”

The little girl bought her mom’s story, but I think we all know that the Triune God is way more than that. But as Jesus said, “Just believe.”

No comments: