Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Two Holidays in One

   Everyone knows it’s Valentine’s Day today, and I think most of you know it’s Ash Wednesday as well. 

We begin the observance of Lent today. After the Valentine’s roses are wilted and the candy is eaten, we still have the remaining weeks until Easter to solemnly remember what else this time of year is for. 

When I was growing up, most of my friends were Catholic, and so they were expected to give something up for Lent – usually candy or swearing (not that any of us swore back then). Sometimes, this Lutheran friend would go along and give up something, too. And over the years, I’ve often continued that tradition. 

This year is different. Back on November 28, when I saw the naturopathic doctor, and she prescribed a strict anti-inflammatory diet, I immediately gave up gluten, all processed sugar, almost all dairy, fried foods, fast foods, my morning honey-nut Cheerios, my nightly bowl of ice cream, my mid-afternoon candy bar, and so much more.

This diet has not eradicated my chronic pain, but most days, I feel a lot better than I had in the months prior to starting it. And once Easter has come and gone, I won’t be returning to any of those foods. I think this may need to be a lifelong diet change. 

I think that’s how the spiritual side of Lent should be. Why should anyone make any sacrifices during Lent? Because Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice for us. Though nothing we do or don’t do can ever compare to that, I think any little loss we choose to experience could be a good thing. And it should be for the entire year and not just the six weeks of Lent. 

No comments: