Sunday, November 21, 2010

“Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. Matthew 6:18-20 (New Living Translation)

As I was driving down the road last weekend, I noticed all the different storage units for rent. I started wondering, “who puts their stuff in a storage unit and why?”

I am sure there are many valid reasons for storing your things in some place other than your home. You are in transition from one place to another and don’t have room right now. You are going to down size, come spring when you can have a rummage sale. You are waiting for your new college-graduate to get settled and take his stuff with him.

I look around my basement and think to myself, “I could use a storage unit. Then I could clean up this place.” Or better yet, I could just get rid of all that junk. What am I saving it for anyway? My rationale usually is, “This stuff is too good to just throw out, but nobody else wants it, so I will have to keep it until I find a use for it or someone who does want it.”

I think we all have material objects throughout our homes that we really don’t need or want, but for some reason, we keep hanging onto them. We have to remember that it is all just “stuff”. It can be replaced or we can simply do without it. There are more important things which we cannot live without.

The basics like food, shelter and clothing. Family or friends to support us, defend us and comfort us. A reason to roll out of bed every morning.

Find what is really important to keep in your life and get rid of the rest of it. And maybe then there will be more room in your life for a saving relationship with your Heavenly Father.


This strange little building near Saikeri in Kenya, Africa, reminds me of some of our storage units. But guess what, people in Kenya have no extra stuff to store away somewhere. They use everything they've got.

No comments: