Monday, January 10, 2011

First Camping Trip


In the spring of 2000, I finally talked Himey into going camping for the weekend in our old pop-up camper. I chose Wells State Park near Cedar River, Michigan, even though I had never been there before.

It wasn’t a bad state park, just a little crowded. I had also forgotten that May is the start of the black fly season in the northern Great Lakes, so there were flies everywhere. And to top everything off the weather was cool and dreary.

We towed the ancient trailer to Michigan with our equally abused Mazda extended cab pickup. It was a great truck, really, but it had seen better days. That particular spring it was in need of a muffler. The bonus there was that our canned vegetables were sitting right over the hole in the exhaust. After we had set up camp and finally started cooking supper, I was pleasantly surprised that when I opened the can of green beans, they were boiling hot. Hmm? Way to multitask, Mazda.

We spent the weekend taking lots of walks in the woods and along Lake Michigan, playing catch next to our camp, playing cards and napping.

Sunday morning we headed home, stopping at Goodman County Park. In my ever continuing quest to see every waterfalls in the upper Midwest, I insisted on seeing Strong Falls. I also wanted to see Eight Foot Falls, Twelve Foot Falls and Eighteen Foot Falls and not just because it sounded like something from a Dr. Suess book. Himey convinced me however that they were more like rapids than waterfalls.

Someday, though, I will check them out.

No comments: