Sunday, January 9, 2011

Who will carry our burdens?


In the languages of the Native Americans, there are different translations for the word “friend”. One such translation would be “one who carries my sorrows on his back.” What a wonderful thought! We all need a friend who will carry all of our sadness, all of our burdens, who will be there no matter happens, no matter what we do. We need someone who will be there to bail us out of any trouble we get in, who will defend us and buoy us up when we are down. That friend will give us the shirt off his back, will give us his bed to sleep in, will give us his last meal when we are hungry but he is hungrier.

Hopefully you have that sort of friend, ideally a couple of them. I am blessed to have a husband who fits that bill on every account. I have a friend in Minnesota who would do anything for me; the distance is occasionally the only setback. There are a few others I could turn to and when the chips are really low, believe it or not, I lay my burdens on my dog. Yes, Dino the Wonder Dog. It would seem he couldn’t do anything to change my situation, but just the perked ears and tilt of his head, is often all I need to put a smile on my face.

It is sometimes easy to forget, though, who we can always look to in any time of trial. Our heavenly Father is always there for us, He hears our every prayer, He knows our every need. We can place our every sorrow on Him and He will carry the load.

Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens. Our God is a God who saves; from the Sovereign LORD comes escape from death. Psalm 68:19-20 (NIV)

(Also, I just want to let you know that I spend half the time working on this blog just trying to find the perfect picture. As alot of them are, this one is from my daughter's trip to Kenya last year. She has so many fabulous pictures, I wish I could just show them all to you.)

No comments: