Sunday, January 16, 2011

Where can you hide?


Ha, ha, ha! Finally I am on the computer. Those fiendish people who think they own me. Ha, I will show them. Every evening they let me and those other two ignorant cats in the house for a few hours and then they throw us back out into the cold when they go to bed. And that puny kitten they got this summer. Alice. They let her stay in all the time. When they brought me home many years ago, they told me that I was the house cat. Then following a few indiscretions, they said “out with you, you are now an outside cat.” What injustice. But I showed them. I hid last night so well that they couldn’t find me when it was time to go out. So, now I can type on the woman’s computer and tell the world how they treat me. Then I must hide again, always hide, they must never find me –
“Fred! You darn cat! What are you doing? You can’t play on my computer! You are going outside!”

Wow, aren’t we like Fred sometimes? We think we can just hide. We do something wrong and rationalize that if we just hide the evidence, it will go away. We hurt someone and tell ourselves that if we ignore them they will just forget about it. We commit all sorts of sins and think they will just go away all by themselves, that no one will ever know.

We can hide a lot of things from a lot of people, but we can’t hide anything from God. He knows every stupid thing we do, and He loves us in spite of all our mistakes.

Instead of hiding from God, we need to go to Him directly in prayer and ask for forgiveness. He will never hide from us.

"Am I not a God near at hand, and not a God far off?
Can anyone hide out in a corner where I can't see him?
Am I not present everywhere, whether seen or unseen?"
Jeremiah 23:23-25 (The Message Bible)

No comments: