Sunday, July 22, 2012

How does your garden grow?

“Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are.” Luke 12:27
New Living Translation

Every spring I purchase too many potted flowers from the greenhouse. I plant these tender buds in various flower gardens about my house and then pretty much ignore them. My philosophy, with both flowers and vegetables, is that if they are not tough enough to overcome the weeds, then – oh, well. Most of the time, the weeds take over.

This spring I started yet another flowerbed, this time in a huge old copper kettle which had been sitting empty on my front stoop for many years. My husband dutifully drilled holes in the bottom of it and filled it with a mix of top soil and potting soil. I purchased four Gerber daises and five pansies to fill the space. And then, as usual, ignored them.

Perhaps it was the fresh dirt and fresh spot, but these little flowers have done quite well. I look off of my deck each evening and eye the splash of color which they grace me with. On days when it seems as if God is so far away, all I have to do is look at these little flowers and know that He is right beside me as always. 
May 
June

July
If you want to read and see more of my gardening adventures, click here and you will be directed to my other blog.

No comments: