Thursday, November 29, 2012

Down the dark road

"Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can see only as far as your headlights, but you make the whole trip that way." E.L. Doctorow

Along with multiple other quotes on writing from writers, I received this one from my doctor friend. If you've ever written fiction, making up characters who converse in your head and make you wonder if you need psychiatric help, you know what it's like driving in the dark. These characters sometimes do things you hadn't planned. You feel like slamming on the brakes and saying, "hold it, where are we going?" And other times, you feel like you are just along for the ride. You just hope somebody knows the road.

But isn't real life just like that? You may not know what is up ahead in the dark, but you still keep going.
 And sometimes I have just the right picture to go with my blog and sometimes you have to use your imagination. I took this in Las Vegas last March and the caption I used for it was "Someday I might need this picture". I guess someday is now.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Olmstead McBride said...

This is kind of what my vision was like for several years post radiation for ocular melanoma. Can you imagine trying to draw up insulin? Uffda, it's why I had to retire early.

Chris Loehmer Kincaid said...

Elizabeth, my eyesight causes me problems too. Nothing serious, I just don't have the right prescription for my glasses and who likes bifocals? And when it's not my eyesight, I still have to trust God to "see" for me.