Sunday, September 15, 2013

From Kenya to Uganda to Wisconsin

All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor, the very thing I had been eager to do all along. Galatians 2:10 New International Version

Today is the big day. The organizational meeting for Tumaini Volunteers, Inc., the nonprofit that my daughter Val is forming to help the people of Kenya. I pray that it all goes well and we have a good turnout. 

And because we serve a God who is bigger than all of our plans, yesterday I met a man who runs an orphanage in Uganda. Joseph is here in America for a month to raise awareness and funds for Bulamu Children’s Village. He is staying with a fellow writer while he is in Wisconsin, so I drove 155 miles one way to attend the Pens of Praise writers group, knowing that he would be there.

He kept saying that he is not a writer, yet he shared a moving devotion which he had written. His words took me right back to Africa and I could picture the children gathering around, begging for their daily ration of biscuits.

The children. “Sigh”. May God be with them, no matter where they live, no matter their circumstances. May God free them from their poverty, whether they are lacking in physical or spiritual things.

Jesus said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Mark 10:14 New International Version 

Can you believe that I didn't take any pictures yesterday? And what a beautiful setting we were in! I pulled these pictures off of Debby Erdmann's Facebook page. Thanks, Debby, for the hospitality and all the work you do for the orphans of Bulamu.

No comments: