Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Just One Story

I’ve been following the drama of missing flight 370 from Malaysia. If you are reading this sometime in the future, when this is all a distant memory, the Boeing 777 with 239 passengers and crew on board, went missing over two weeks ago. I don’t watch a lot of TV, but from what I’ve seen on cop shows, those guys can track someone’s cell phone around the globe and back. How can they lose a plane two-thirds the size of a football field? I know it’s not as simple as that and I know that even crazier things then this have happened. This is just one of thosethings that has really captured the media and has caused international stress.

I do feel for the families of all of the people who were on that plane. I would certainly just want closure. After the first 48 hours that the plane was missing, anyone who thought that there were any survivors at that point – well those people are not in touch with reality. Yes, it would be nice if the plane had been hijacked and some evil militant group was holding the passengers and crew. But do you know how much food it would take to keep 239 people alive for two weeks? A lot. And militants aren’t known for treating people well, so I think they were better off going into the ocean. Nah, not really, I mean, nobody wants to die in a plane crash. Those passengers were heading home or heading to business meetings or heading off on vacation.

This could be just one story.

“Yes, honey, I’m boarding the plane right now, but I have to go. I will see you when we land.”

Huan Lee hung up the phone and smiled. Even though her husband was gone on business frequently, she still missed him when he was gone.

“Mama, who was on the phone?” Mei burst into the room, her hair still tousled from sleep.

“That was your father. He is on his way home.”

The round face of the little girl lit up. Her daddy was coming home! “What will we do when he gets home? Can we go to the park?”

“Yes, of course,” Huan answered, smoothing her daughter’s dark hair. She was so much like her father, so full of life, full of optimism for the future.


And there are 238 more stories we will never hear. 

No comments: