Sunday, March 23, 2014

Peace and Acceptance

But the fruit that the Spirit produces in a person’s life is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these kinds of things. Galatians 5:22-23 Easy-to-Read Version

After a couple of stressful weeks with very little time for writing, I finally was able to retreat into my office and there was my word I had chosen for this year staring back at me on my desk. Acceptance.

Acceptance. 1. the act of taking or receiving something offered.
2. favorable reception; approval; favor.
3. the act of assenting or believing: acceptance of a theory.
4. the fact or state of being accepted or acceptable.

Or that’s what dictionary.com says about the word. To me, I can receive something that is offered or take what is given, but to accept it means something more. The second definition is getting closer to what I feel. I have received what is offered and have done so positively or with favor. Yet there is still one word lacking in these definitions. I think the word is peace.

I probably get that from the Serenity Prayer. I guess it is so engrained in me from those few years I went to Al-Anon. But no matter what your circumstances, that prayer should guide everyone in any struggles that they face. Serenity. Peace. Patience. Trust. Faith. Acceptance.


God grant this all to me, in the name of Jesus Christ.  

No comments: