Sunday, March 9, 2014

What do you need most?

What a wonderful God we have—he is the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the source of every mercy, and the one who so wonderfully comforts and strengthens us in our hardships and trials. And why does he do this? So that when others are troubled, needing our sympathy and encouragement, we can pass on to them this same help and comfort God has given us. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 Living Bible

Lent started this week and so I wanted to blog about a central theme for the next six weeks. The last days of Jesus’s life on this earth, His parables, or something even more witty than usual. God once again had other plans.

I had a lousy week at work, capped off by learning Thursday morning that one of my patient’s had just died. I went and visited his wife on Friday afternoon. She has no relatives and no close friends, so I am going to stop and see her again today. She is in need of so much – food, money, companionship – and I am left wondering how I can provide all of these things.

When I opened up the Biblegateway website as I started thinking about what to blog about today, the verse above is what came up. Because of course God knows what I need when I need it the most. And He knows what this newly-widowed woman needs too. I can give her a lot of things, but the one thing I need most to give her is to know that the things of this earth will fade away but that the love of Jesus Christ will be with us into eternity.


Lord, God Heavenly Father, be with all who grieve. Remind them that someday all believers will be together again, that this life is temporary. Strengthen them and hold them in the palm of Your hand. Amen 

No comments: