Monday, October 20, 2014

Streets of Hatchet Creek - Day 19

If you’ve been following my walks around my hometown, you may be wondering when I am going to call it quits for the season. The answer is any time now. But whenever there is a day where the sun is shining, the temperature is above 50 and I have an extra hour in the day, I am still going to try it.

Here’s a question for all of you Tomahawk natives. Or if you have spent a lot of your summers here, you might know this one too. Where is this stump and what is its significance? I have a childhood story about it, but I am going to save it for next time. Keep you on the edge of your seats. 
 I heard from my best friend from high school this week, which inspired me to walk this street this time.

The trees are still beautiful. The maples have dropped their brilliant red leaves, but the poplars still have their yellow show and the oaks are clinging to their rust-colored leaves.  
And any picture taken across the Wisconsin River is going to be gorgeous on a sunny day. 
 I don’t know how long this house has been abandoned, but it took the newspaper delivery person a while to figure it out.
 I find it interesting that the satellite dish is still there.
 I forget the legal name of this body of land, but our family has always known it as Boy Scout Island (and it’s not really an island).  My son has spent days there, probably more like months, if you string it all together. I think I was out there twice with the Boy Scouts for something. Never spent the night out there in the dead of winter though. (My son is the one who needs to write a blog.)
 That’s Memorial Park across the Wisconsin River. I still can’t believe how still the water was. They say this is the hardest working river in the country, due to the many hydro-electric dams it supports. It looks pretty laid back right here though.
 Anybody reading this live in a big city? I can’t imagine how awful that would be. We are so blessed here in northern Wisconsin. 

No comments: