Wednesday, June 10, 2015

What are you Weight-ing for?

This is only to be eaten as a reward and not as a nightly snack, even if the red fruit makes it look healthy. 
Working in the medical field, I would have to say that the number one health issue affecting our patients is obesity. People who are overweight are at a much greater risk for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, arthritis, and in my opinion, mental health issues such as depression. Statistics say that a loss of just 10% of your total body weight can decrease these risk factors. That means if you are 200 pounds, losing only 20 pounds will make a difference. To which you are probably saying, “but I can’t even lose 20 pounds.”

My Story

I really hate talking to patients about their weight. I know the first thing are thinking is, “but you’ve never been overweight, you have no idea how hard it is to lose.” (Or maybe they aren’t, and I haven’t looked in the mirror lately!)

But I used to be skinny, weighing a lot less than I do now. I ate a ridiculous amount of sweets and a big bowl of ice cream every night. I also had a metabolism to keep up with it. I’m not so young anymore, and if you read my blog last Friday, my body can’t keep going like it used to. The more anyone slows down, the more those calories cling to you.

It wasn’t easy, but I lost five pounds this winter. I know, that’s not much, but that still didn’t mean it was easy, so I get it if it isn’t easy for you either.  But I don’t want to gain it back again, so every day I am on that scale and if a half pound finds me, I know there will be no snacking today.

Your Story

So where do you even start? I wouldn’t suggest any kind of diet, fad or otherwise. No one can stay on a “diet” for the rest of their life and to lose the weight and keep it off, you have to do this the rest of your life. If you can make one of those diets work to lose the weight and then switch to life-long life-style changes, good for you. But the pounds will jump right back on if you don’t do something.

Cut back on portions, use a smaller plate if you have to and no second helpings. Add more vegetables and a few less meats and breads. Cut out red meat completely if you can (my biggest saving grace – I just do not like the taste or texture of beef, it is just yucky). Cut back on sugars, candies, chocolates, but if you live for these things like I do, you have to allow yourself just one little treat once in a while. Remember, you are going to do this for the rest of your life. Can you really give up the goodies forever?

Helpful Hint

I know I just said that I weigh myself every day. That is okay if you are at or near your goal. If you still have a lot to lose, weigh yourself once a week and pick a day when you know you will be thinner. If you can’t help but cheat on the weekends, wait until the end of the week to weigh in. If you shoot pool or throw darts on Wednesday and know you will have a few drinks that one and only night of the week, weigh yourself the night before.

One Last Thought
 When you go to the doctor and they tell you that your BMI is too high, don’t let that bum you out. BMI is the ratio between your height and weight. According to the BMI chart, which some supposed expert made up, you have to be nearly anorexic to have a BMI which does not put you in the overweight category. Even most of the medical people I know feel this number is too low. So ignore it. You have to set your own goal and work towards it; don’t let some random number dictate to you who you should be. 
Lots of these should be on your plate, except maybe the green tomatoes, which I have heard can cause a bellyache. 

No comments: