Thursday, October 27, 2016

An Apple Bar Surprise

I know that I promised last time that I was done with that road trip to Minnesota, but I am going to throw out one more thing. Just one.

At Jim’s Apple Farm in Jordan, I picked up a bag of apples, Honey Crisp, I believe they were. Shortly after returning home I attempted to make the obligatory apple pie. That was a fail. I pulled out a recipe for cherry bars that I had made last summer and tweaked it some.

They didn’t turn out too bad.

½ cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups flour

Preheat oven to 350. Mix above ingredients well. Spread ¾ of the dough into greased 9 x 12 baking pan.
Peel and slice 5 apples. Mix with 1 tsp cinnamon and a couple tablespoons of sugar. 
Spread over dough in pan. Drop the remaining dough by teaspoons over the filling.

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown (I don’t remember how long I left them in for, but it seemed like it was longer than that, so just keep an eye on them).
If you’ve read any other recipes on other people’s blogs, you may have noticed that they usually use a ton of pictures. This is the one time when I don’t. I’m just full of surprises, aren’t I?

No comments: