Sunday, October 23, 2016

Relax and know God

Be still and know that I am God. (Psalm 46:10 NIV)

I’ve written about this beloved Psalm before, but last weekend, at the Christian Writers Retreat, I learned another application for this Psalm. Say to yourself, “be still” as you inhale slowly. Then as you exhale, think, “and know that I am God.” Repeat it two more times and feel the tension slip away. 

Because the Psalms are songs and songs are just that  because they have a rhythm, this works with many verses from that book.

“For the Lord is good” as you inhale. Then “and His love endures forever” as you exhale. (Psalm 100:5)

“Give thanks to the Lord” inhale. “For He is good” exhale. (Psalm 107:1)

“Search me, God” inhale. “And know my heart” exhale. (Psalm 139:23)

I could go on, but you get the picture. This is a great relaxation technique and a way to remind us of the beauty and wisdom of God’s words.

 Thank you, Lord God, for Your inspired word. Help us to keep Your song in our hearts. Amen.  

No comments: