Sunday, October 2, 2016

A New Hairdo

 She watches over the affairs of her household
    and does not eat the bread of idleness.
 Her children arise and call her blessed;
    her husband also, and he praises her:
 “Many women do noble things,
    but you surpass them all.”
 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
    but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Proverbs 31:27-30 (NIV)

Let me ruminate a little bit here. I’ve been growing out my hair since around the first of the year. It’s gotten to be a ridiculous mess which needs to be secured in some way or another to keep it from swirling out from the sides of my head in ways which rival Effie’s hair from the Hunger Games.

Yesterday, my daughter talked me into getting a trim and a style from a beautician she knows. It turned out okay. The two of them claimed it will be very low maintenance, but when they insisted I buy a bottle of mousse to tame it every morning, I thought, whoa, that sounds like work. I’m ready to get it buzzed short again.

Am I just lazy? Or am I too uncoordinated to maneuver a hair dryer and a comb at the same time? Or am I too dense to understand why I should put “product” in my hair right after I washed it, because to me it would be easier to just not wash it for a couple days and let it get sticky all on its own? Or do I just not have the time to do anything with my hair in the morning more than running a comb through it? My ultimate goal was for it to grow long enough to brush it every morning and tie it in a big ol’ pony tail and not have to worry about it.  

What is the lesson to be learned from this? And will I be able to maintain this high maintenance hairdo?

Maybe I am a little lazy. Maybe I should take the time to care about my looks a little bit more. I wish I could say I was the good wife in Proverbs 31, who has her priorities straight, who always puts her family before herself. I bet she doesn’t have time to fix her hair!

 I think it’s all about balance and what you are comfortable with. For you women who still swear by Aqua-net, who am I to criticize? In the meantime, I’m just going to try to go with it and thank God that I have the hair that I do. 
In 2011
June of 2015
A couple weeks ago. The hair had been beaten into submission that day. 
Yikes! The new do, yesterday. I wasn't planning on taking a picture, much lest posting it here, so this is the scary face. And also, I do own clothes in colors other than blue. 


No comments: