Wednesday, July 19, 2017

A Day on the Land

I spent a couple hours on Saturday with my brother and sister on our mom’s property. It brought back a lot of memories, but the best part was creating new memories with my surviving siblings, who I don’t spent nearly enough time with.

This twenty acres was once an open field. My brother says he remembers the last time Dad hayed it, then they planted the Norway in about 1962. 
 All the spruce trees have come up on their own.
When they were farming it, as in most farms in Wisconsin, all the largest rocks were gathered together in one pile. 
 My sister Pat and I spent hours as kids just sitting on our rock pile, me on the round rock to the right and Pat somehow perched on the pointy rock on the left. I’ve always told my husband that I want to bring those two rocks home with me, but he just gives me a scathing look.  

  At the very back of the property grow some beautiful maples.
 The grave of our dad’s dog Mac. Very sad, huh? 
 Last we hunted down the famous Big Rock. I scared up a deer on the way there. 
 Can you spot my brother photo-bombing me in the upper right corner?
 Good memories – both old and new. 

1 comment:

Denise said...

I'm glad you had a good day. Looks like a nice place to restore the soul.