Sunday, July 23, 2017

Marching On

                     Betty had asked Jenny if she attended a local church.
                     “No, why?” Jenny had answered before giving it any thought.
                     “Sometimes it helps make things easier. Gives you a direction, a place to turn when you are hurting.” Betty rested her hand on Jenny’s arm. “I can suggest a few, if you have a preference of denomination.”
                     “No … um … there’s definitely no denomination.” 
                     “You could come with me some Sunday. I could pick you up.”
                     Jenny’s eyes narrowed. “Is this part of your job? Are you supposed to convert me or something?” Betty had been so upfront with her so far and Jenny felt she could trust her. Why was she pulling the whole church thing now?
                     “It’s not part of my job.” The woman laughed. “It’s part of me. I couldn’t say I was a Christian if I didn’t reach out to nonbelievers. At least try to reach them.”

My novel, “Where the Sky Meets the Sand”, was released in ebook version last week and will be available in paperback after September 1. This is a short excerpt from chapter 14. When I write a scene like that, I feel like a hypocrite. Have I shared my faith with others? Have I tried to reach out to the lost? A loud “no” reverberates in my head when I ask myself that.

Yet, people tell me that I reach others with my writing. I suppose that is true, to a certain extent at least, but I always feel that I should be doing more.

What I have to remember though, what I have to tell myself, is that God made me the way I am for a reason. Yes, sometimes I need to get out of my comfort zone and actually talk to people, which is a struggle because I’m very shy, insecure, and introverted. I think that’s why I’ve always wanted to be a writer, so I can live like a hermit and not leave my house.

I seem to have gotten off track.

What I really mean to say is that God grants us each gifts, whether it is healing the sick, feeding the homeless or preaching the gospel. Our job is to share those gifts with others, with those in need. Once in a while, though, we will be asked to stretch ourselves, to offer to others things which cost us something, whether monetarily, physically or emotionally. At those times, all we can do is ask for God’s guidance and strength, and then march on to do what we have to do.

Heavenly Father, thank you for granting me so many gifts and I pray for your guidance in using these gifts to benefit others. Amen
Sometimes we have to march through the mud, whether it's comfortable or not. 

No comments: