Sunday, September 24, 2017

Fall Vacation Day 2

Whenever we leave the Renaissance Festival, tradition dictates that we stop at Jim’s Apple Farm (aka Minnesota’s Largest Candy Store) before we head to wherever we are going for the night. Last Sunday was no different. 
Unbelievably, they added on since last year. 
But even with all that stuff – aisles and aisles of candy and other treats – driving down the roads of America’s heartland is still more mouth-watering to me. 
St Mary’s Catholic Church in New Trier. 
We spent Sunday night in Red Wing and the next morning, explored Corvill Park before heading down along the Mississippi River. 
Seems like these Fairy Houses can be found everywhere. I need to get some for my yard. 
The historic Anderson house in Wabasha. The whole town was filled with scarecrows and pumpkins for the fall. We drove around checking them out, but it was starting to rain. Then we ended up going the wrong way down a one-way street, so I just wanted to get out of town
There was just as much to see in Winona, but we were feeling pressed for time. A quick drive through town and a walk through Windom Park. This dad zipping his son’s jacket was too adorable to pass up. 

Further down the Mighty Mississippi, we crossed the bridge back into Wisconsin as we came to La Crosse. I went to college here for one year back in my foolish youth. And unbelievably, never went to up to Granddad Bluff, overlooking the city. 
Beautiful views. 
And I made another friend. Ellen Pennell Hixon. In the early 1900s, the bluffs overlooking La Crosse were being whittled away, the stone being used for home foundations and roadways in the developing river town. Mrs. Hixon couldn’t stand to have the beautiful Grandad Bluff destroyed. She started a fund to buy the piece of land and donated $12,00 to get the ball rolling. Only another $5,000 was needed to purchase the property and build a road to the top of the bluff. The funds were all raised by 1909 and in 1912, the bluff and surrounding land were turned over to the city of La Crosse. 
I’m looking at the map now, trying to figure out where we went next, how many times did we cross the Mississippi. And how many times we went back and forth between Minnesota and Wisconsin and then Iowa. (We hit Illinois before we came home, but that’s for another day.) 
At Marquette, Iowa, before crossing back into Wisconsin. 
No matter what, I still love the symmetric beauty of the farm fields the best.   
It's been suggested that I write a book of all my travels across America. If you saw the files on my computer, you would realize that I already have.

3 comments:

Denise said...

I have never been up granddads bluff..how is that possible I ask myself.

Chris Loehmer Kincaid said...

Denise, I know you've been to La Crosse. Why didn't we all go up there while we were in town for a conference?

Denise said...

I have no excuse!