Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Coming to the Clinic - part 4

A couple weeks ago, I started posting what I call “Chris’s Crash Course on Coming to the Clinic: how to be the perfect patient.” Over the weekend, a co-worker of mine posted the following on Facebook. It tells what many of us working in the medical field go through on a daily basis.

 I was given the opportunity to sit with people who need someone in their room at all times for various reasons. My first thought: easy extra hours. Honestly? It tested me more than anything. I have ADHD and this is why my words don’t always come out like I want them to because my mind is going 100 times faster than my mouth can and I worry about what people will think. I get nervous talking to new people who don’t know this, because I feel like they’re going to judge me for whatever reason. So, it’s hard for me to start the conversation. It’s also kind of hard having to tell a patient “you can’t do that” etc. because that’s not who I am.

 I do believe there is a plan for everyone and everything happens for a reason. I sat with two individuals tonight. The first one looked at me while crying and asked how I ended up in their room, as I was one of the nicest ones yet and one who treated them as a person. That right there almost made me cry. All I did was sit with them and talk about who they were. Given the chance, most people will talk about themselves. I can honestly say that I can tell you where 90% of my patients live, work, how many kids they have, etc., for this reason. Getting to know them is a wonderful thing and if you are going to be a part of their health care you need to create a trust or bond. The things that I’m able to refer to when I see those people again makes them know I listen, and I care.

With the second individual, I knew right off the bat that they were going to test me. They would not do anything I asked them to do. I sat down on their bed and after a long discussion of both of our lives, I made this individual promise me they were going to reschedule their interview, continue school, and pursue possible gastric surgery that they had previously started the process for. Whether or not this really happens, I will never know.

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. Be the person who believes in others, be the person who teaches others instead belittles them, just be there for persons most in need. And LISTEN. Hopefully I changed their lives, but without them knowing, they changed mine and reminded me why I do what I do.

Nothing more I can add to that. Thanks, Becca, for sharing these beautiful words and for giving me permission to print them here. And thank you for being who you are. 
I can't, of course, post any pictures of any of our patients, but thought I could share one when I had some testing done four years ago. Sometimes when we forget what it's like to be a patient, it helps to be on the other end. 

No comments: