Friday, March 9, 2018

Introducing Nehemiah

It’s been a month since I last shared an excerpt from my novel “Where the Sky Meets the Sand”. Most of the passages I’ve posted here so far have been from the perspective of the woman Jenny or the boy she saves. Her husband as well as two missionaries to Africa tell their stories within the pages of the book as well.

Today I thought I would introduce Nehemiah. He is a native of Kenya and has a deep love for his country and her people. He is also devoted to the work he and his partner do in spreading the word of Jesus Christ. In addition, when this tall black man has the scene, you will find something to smile about. Besides having a wonderful sense of humor, he never turns down food.

“So how are our travel plans coming along?” John asked his Kenyan friend.                       
Nehemiah put down his spoon. He had forgotten how good the soup was at this particular restaurant. He was glad John had picked this place to meet up to discuss their upcoming mission work. “I have our airline reservations to Nairobi. We leave Indianapolis on the seventeenth. Have you finished your work here?”
“I did the best I could.” John was the speaker of the two. He had spent most of the winter months driving across the country seeking sponsors for their work. The slide presentation he gave at dozens of churches documented their ongoing work throughout Eastern Africa. “We have enough funds to at least get there. God will furnish the rest.”
“That’s what you always say.” Nehemiah picked up his bowl and slurped up the rest of his soup. It was too good to miss a drop. “Have you talked to that woman from Chicago again?”
“No, but I am giving my presentation at her church next week.”
“Really? So, you’ll meet her then?”
“I hope so. Like I said, I haven’t talked to her except the one time.” Their waitress removed their soup bowls and poured more ice water into their glasses.
“Then how?” Nehemiah was confused. He had thought that this woman would have been the first person John had solicited for donations.
“The first time I talked to her, she told me what church she attends. I am just hoping that she sees the flyers and shows up. I wouldn’t think she would miss a slide show of Africa, would she?”
Nehemiah shrugged.
“You’ll have to join me. You’ll want to meet her too, I’m sure.”
Nehemiah craned his neck towards the kitchen, only half listening. If the main course was half as good as the soup, he didn’t want to wait for it much longer. “I’d love to. I just hope you are not disappointed if she is not there. And I hope I am not disappointed with my steak.”
From our first trip to Kenya. Val is doing a teaching on the importance of hand-washing. 
The man in the red jacket is interpreting for her. He was the inspiration for Nehemiah. I regret that I don't remember his name. 

No comments: