Friday, September 6, 2019

Red Mill, Little Hope

     If you didn’t see Wednesday’s post, perhaps you should go back and read it. I wrote about several distractions on one Friday in August, and here I am telling you about another one.

 As I was driving out of Waupaca that day, I spied yet another intriguing sign. I wish I could recall just what all these signs say that I get all excited about. It may have been as simple as “Red Mill”, but I can’t remember.

 Just before I got there, however, I had to stop at the Nelson Park, along the Crystal River. A tiny little park, but so picturesque. 
 I loved the little bridge to the little island. Why I didn’t cross it, I can’t say. 
  Then I looked upstream (I think it was upstream) and things really got good. 
 And then they got better..
 The covered bridge was built in 1970.  
 Certainly not old by any means, but isn’t it still romantic? 

 The chapel was constructed four years later.   
 It is available for weddings. Wouldn’t this be a beautiful setting? 
 The setting all revolves around the Red Mill, however. Built in 1855, the grist mill made grain for the farmers around the towns of Little Hope and Waupaca for over 100 years. Closing in 1959 when it was sold at auction.     

 It is now a quaint gift shop with a wide array of items for sale, including a Christmas room. There is also an ice cream and sandwich shop within the old buildings.

  I should have snuck some pictures of the inside as well. I bought some Christmas presents instead.
 
 Then it was time to hit the road. I did have a destination to be to by late afternoon, and one more surprise side trip was waiting for me. 

 Just one more picture. This was behind the chapel. 

“Take these broken wings And learn to fly again.” 
(from “Broken Wings” written by John Ross Lang / Richard James Page / Steve George)

No comments: