Monday, August 19, 2019

Quest Day - 2019 Camping Post #3

     Our second day of camping in July, we went on a few quests, some successful, one not so much. 
 First and foremost, though, was that we took Dino down to his beach for the first time this trip. Okay, it’s really Calumet Waterworks Park, but it’s the beach he always has the most fun at and when we go in the mornings, there is hardly anyone else there.
 We didn’t let him fetch and swim too much. He just doesn’t have the energy anymore and the waves were pretty big. Poor old man.
 Last week I ran across a place online called the Calumet Natural Wall, which looks like a cement block wall along a ridge in the middle of nowhere outside the village of Lake Linden.
 The directions made it look reasonably easy to find, so that was our next quest. Unfortunately, after walking past several big bold “no trespassing” signs, we decided to hang it up. We were close enough to someone’s farm that we heard their dog barking and their cows mooing, so getting busted seemed a strong possibility.
 But, I’m a simple girl. The only thing I needed to find to perk me right back up was a hillside cemetery. 
 There were two cemeteries on Cemetery Road, and we only stopped at the bigger one. 
 Stupid me gets so excited at a cemetery that I never think to make note of the name of it. I think this was Mount Calvary, from what I found on the internet.
 Driving back through town, I saw this sign so I made Hubby drive down the road.
 This was all we found. Yes, a cool old building, but I couldn’t find out anything else about it.
 We drove through Lake Linden, then as we started driving back to back to camp, I remembered that I wanted to go to the Portage Lake Canal Park, or something like that, which is just across the canal from McLain State Park.
  The ride there felt longer than it should have, but I think it was worth it. We ate lunch at a little park on the top of the hill but had to stay in our vehicle because the black flies were once again out in force.
 Along the beach, the flies were greatly decreased, but there also just wasn’t much to do there, unless you were going to go swimming, which we weren’t.
 We drove back to camp. Then I took a walk alone down to the Lake while my boys rested.
Getting a picture of this critter completed my day of quests.

No comments: