Sunday, October 4, 2020

Two are Better than One

   Two are better off than one, because together they can work more effectively. If one of them falls down, the other can help him up. But if someone is alone and falls, it's just too bad, because there is no one to help him. If it is cold, two can sleep together and stay warm, but how can you keep warm by yourself. Two people can resist an attack that would defeat one person alone. (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12a, Good News Translation)

 I was originally going to write about marriage today, as this is my 23rd wedding anniversary. But when I was searching for Bible verses with the word “marriage” in them, nothing sounded appropriate for Hubby and me.

So, I thought I would write about the seasons, the changing of the seasons, the leaves turning brilliant colors before they fall to the ground to wither away, but that after the cold, harsh winter, new life will return. You know? That whole thing.

 Of course, any Bible search of the word season will lead back to the book of Ecclesiastes, which I am so familiar with thanks to my first trip to Kenya and the first book I wrote. “To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven.”

 Reading further along in Ecclesiastes, I came upon the verses above. What a striking reminder that we do better when we are not alone in life, whether it’s a spouse or a best friend. Or if you are as blessed as I am to have those two be in the same person.

 Heavenly Father, I cannot express how truly thankful I am that You have sent my husband into my life, for better or worse, in sickness and in health, for the rest of our lives. Amen.   



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary !!

Gordy