Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Exploring Ashland - blog post #1 from the family vacation

I couldn’t decide how I should start or end my journal of our family vacation to the cabin. If I should bore you first with pictures of my kids and grandpuppies or just jump right into the sites. I opted to bore you a little first each post. 

My daughter with her number 1 child, Buddy. 

And with Bleu, the number 2. On our way to the cabin Friday. 

When I was a kid, my only memory of Ashland, Wisconsin, was our annual smelt-fishing trip. One Friday night in the spring, Dad would load Mom, my sister Pat and me into the pickup camper and we’d head north. I was little and it was dark out and I was never quite sure what happened out there on the Great Lake of Superior. Except that when we got home the next afternoon, we would be tied to the kitchen sink for hours cleaning those itty-bitty fishes.

But Ashland is an interesting, historic city. I wish I had time today to share some of that history, but instead, all I have is the interesting. 

Our first full day of family vacation last week, we all drove up to the Ashland, the 45 minutes from the cabin where we were staying. And though it rained off and on all day, we made the most of it.



 The murals throughout the town are fascinating.  



Even the trash cans are cool.

And there’s a good share of charming old buildings. 

The greatest find, however, was the murals along the Ed Griffiths Pedestrian Pass under Hwys 2 and 13, at Howard Person Plaza. Totally unexpected.

I think before I go to Ashland again, I’m going to have to do some more research so that I’m better prepared to see all it has to offer. 


1 comment:

Carol Stam Rehse said...

Thank you for sharing! I had no idea Ashland had these beautiful murals. Murals are becoming the "thing" these days. Seems like so many towns have them now.