Sunday, February 13, 2022

Faith, again, as well as hope and love

         I may have the gift of prophecy. I may understand all the secret things of God and have all knowledge, and I may have faith so great I can move mountains. But even with all these things, if I do not have love, then I am nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:2, New Century Version)

I know. Last Sunday I said that I was sharing my last post on my word of the year – faith. Yet here I am with more final thoughts.  

I imagine that Psalm 23 is the most famous chapter in the Bible. Come on, you know it. “The Lord is my Shepard I shall not want.”

And I bet that 1 Corinthian 13 – the Love Chapter – is the second most famous. And seeing as tomorrow is Valentine’s Day, I felt I should mention it.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. (1 Corinthians 13:13, New International Version)

It looks like faith and love, as well as hope, are all pretty important. The stuff that makes it worthwhile to get up every morning, to hug your loved ones and allow yourself to be separated from them for the day – or week or month. To believe that things are going to be all right. Those three words are what make us laugh and make us cry. They make life worth living.

And when the chips are down and nothing seems to make sense (and I start writing things that sound like a country-western song), then we have hope in a better tomorrow, faith that God has gotten it covered. And lastly, that love blankets us all.  


No comments: