Sunday, February 20, 2022

Worry, Worry, Worry

     

      Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (Matthew 6:34, New International Version)

I’ve been writing about faith all year, and even though that word is not in today’s Bible verses, it’s still all about faith.

I’ve had a lot on my plate the last few months. My retirement is on my calendar, and I worry that this is not the best time for that.

Food prices have been going up, and they are forecasting that gas will hit five dollars a gallon this summer. The stock market has been unstable. I’ll be living on my investments; what if I lose too much money to be able to pay the bills?

What is going on overseas? Is Russia going to invade Ukraine? And will that give China the inspiration to invade Taiwan? And how much will it take for North Korea to bomb whoever they feel like? We like to believe that we are insulated over here in the US and that no one will invade our borders. Weren’t we all thinking that in December of 1941?

Of course, with the internet and all our new technology, there are other ways to bring down a country besides using guns and bombs.

Don’t even get me started on global warming. How much longer can Mother Earth survive the many onslaughts that our modern life has burdened her with?

And is COVID-19 ever going to go away? Are our hospitals ever going to return to workable patient loads? Are enough people going to go into the medical field to make up for all those who have aged out or burned out? Which is me, and then how do I deal with the guilt of stranding my coworkers?

The only way I can get any sleep at night and get out of bed each morning is my faith that God is bigger than all of this and more.

“Therefore, I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? (Matthew 6:25-27, New International Version)

No comments: