Sunday, September 18, 2022

The Need to Stop Bickering

Some others there wanted to test Jesus. They asked him to do a miracle as a sign from God. But he knew what they were thinking. So he said to them, “Every kingdom that fights against itself will be destroyed. And a family that fights against itself will break apart. So if Satan is fighting against himself, how will his kingdom survive? You say that I use the power of Satan to force out demons. But if I use Satan’s power to force out demons, then what power do your people use when they force out demons? So your own people will prove that you are wrong. But I use the power of God to force out demons. This shows that God’s kingdom has now come to you.

“When a strong man with many weapons guards his own house, the things in his house are safe. But suppose a stronger man comes and defeats him. The stronger man will take away the weapons that the first man trusted to keep his house safe. Then the stronger man will do what he wants with the other man’s things.

“Whoever is not with me is against me. And anyone who does not work with me is working against me.” (Luke 11:16-23, Easy-to-Read Version)

This past Friday, I went on a research trip for the novel I just finished writing. Yes, I know, you should do research before you write the book, but what can I say.

One of my stops was at the Milton House in the small town of Milton, which is only five miles or so north of Janesville, Wisconsin. The Milton House was a stop along the Underground Railroad and has the distinction of being the last certified Underground Railroad Station in Wisconsin that can be toured.

The tour was great but quite overwhelming. Our wonderful tour guide had to pack a lot of information in our one and a half hours in the building. I had thought about taking notes, but I’m sure that would have just muddied everything for me further.

But anyway, I’d already chosen the above Bible verseEvery kingdom that fights against itself will be destroyed – for my novel. And it just seems even more fitting having walked the tunnel which escaped slaves walked.

It also reminds us of how we as a nation will only fall apart if we keep bickering.

God, I know that You will never leave us or forsake us. But I also know that we cannot continue to turn our backs on You. Send Your Holy Spirit into the lives of those who are against You so that they may see Your Good and Perfect Way. Amen. 



No comments: