Friday, July 15, 2011

Ayacucho, it is!

Back in the fall of 2008, when I started to get inklings to take another trip, and I thought that the trip should be to Peru, I heard from a friend of ours who had moved to the upper peninsula of Michigan a few years before. As happens when miles separate friends, we had lost touch, when seemingly out of the blue, Judy contacted us and invited us to her new home for a visit. Somewhere in the conversation it came up that her church was planning a mission trip to Lima, Peru, to work with an orphanage. She was struggling with whether or not she should go and invited myself and another friend, Joyce, to go with.

You know me, all you have to say is “trip” and I am packing my bags. Having never traveled so far, not having passports or any immunization, Joyce and Judy both had to think long and hard about this. In the meantime, I went home to study up some more.

Unfortunately, for them, my two friends decided that at least for now, this trip was not meant to be. For me, however, it was a sign from God that I should stick with my original dream and go with Cross Cultural Solutions.

Lima, the capital and largest city in Peru, really didn’t seem the proper fit. CCS offered another Peru location, however, a city by the name of Ayacucho. Set high in the Andes Mountains, this city of 150,000 is known as the city of churches, as it claims to have 33 churches, one for each year of Jesus life. In reality, no one is quite sure how many churches there are, but there are a lot, and they are all old and full of personality.

The coat of arms for Ayacucho. I need to get me a coat of arms; they are so cool.

No comments: