Thursday, September 27, 2012

Dreams - or not



“It’s better sometimes when we don’t get to touch our dreams.”
From Sequel by Harry Chapin

I know. This quote from a song from long ago seems rather depressing. Kind of like the reverse of saying “tis better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all”.

It is all just sort of worrisome. Maybe it is better to play it safe, don’t love, don’t dream. Don’t get your heart broken.

Here’s a big revelation. When I was in high school and even in college, I never pictured myself getting married or having kids or living in my own house or even having a career. I never dreamed of having any of that stuff. I saw myself living in a one bedroom apartment in the second story of an old house in the city. Maybe I could have a cat for a pet, but I thought maybe a hamster or a fish would be better. I’d work as a clerk at a store and walk to work, not even own a car.

And all alone in my apartment at night, I would type furiously on my typewriter (because who knew that word processing would take off) and write the great American novel.

OK, so one thing out of that big fantasy of mine might come true. If only I’m not afraid to touch that dream.  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so proud of you. I always knew you would follow your dreams.

Unknown said...

I am proud of you! I always believed in you.

Chris Loehmer Kincaid said...

Thanks, Val. Now, you just remember to follow your dreams.