Sunday, May 18, 2014

Do you have the time?

 He may come at nine o’clock at night—or even at midnight. But whenever he comes, there will be joy for his servants who are ready!

Everyone would be ready for him if they knew the exact hour of his return—just as they would be ready for a thief if they knew when he was coming. So be ready all the time. For I, the Messiah, will come when least expected.
Luke 12:38-40 Living Bible

Every morning, as I am getting ready for work, I look at the clock every few minutes. “I need to get out of bed in five more minutes.” “I have three more minutes on the computer.” “I should be walking out the door in eight minutes, but I still have to finish putting on my makeup.”

When I get to work it is more of the same. Our doctors see patients every twenty minutes, which means I look at the clock on my computer constantly. “My next patient will be here in six minutes, and I am still in a room with Mr. Green.” “Now Mrs. Jones is late, but Mr. Smith is early, so should I room him first.” “Great, it’s 12:11. Looks like I won’t get out for lunch again today.”

To my credit, the only obsession I don’t have is with the watch on my wrist. I don’t change the time for daylight savings time twice a year, so it is off by a full hour six months out of the year. I also have noticed that it has lost close to ten minutes, but I haven’t bothered to change that either. If you haven’t guessed, my watch is the old-fashioned kind with a face and I only use it for the second hand when I am counting a pulse.

Overall, however, I hate this obsession with time. Things are going to happen when they happen whether I am watching the clock or not. All I can do is keep doing what I am doing at the best rate I can and stop worrying about the time it takes.

Our life on this earth is too short to obsess about anything. There is only one thing we should be thinking about when it comes to time, and that is that we are ready when Jesus comes for us.


Heavenly Father, thank You for sending Your Son to save us from our sins. Grant us patience as we wait for His return. Amen  

1 comment:

Denise said...

You tell it so well. All I know is time is "Not on my side " either, although I think I have improved on "Trying to get it all done" which is why I'm posting on a nice Sunday morning while watching for the Indigo Bunting to return to my feeder.