Sunday, May 4, 2014

What do you want in your backyard?

“When you pray, don’t be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I tell you the truth, that is all the reward they will ever get. But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you. Matthew 6:5-6 New Living Translation

I never finished blogging about my trip home from vacation. Last time I posted, I wrote about being at my brother-in-law’s house in Iowa. That’s a five and a half hour drive home for me. Of course, I had to make at least one stop.

I have been to Iowa many times, and have been to Platteville, Wisconsin, even more times, because my son went to college there. Just down the road from Platteville is the little town of Dickeyville. (What a cute name for a village.)

All of the times I have driven past this burg on the freeway and never stopped in, I cannot believe it. Because Dickeyville is home to the Holy Ghost Grotto.





 It is not a place easily described. Now, of course, I want to build a grotto in my backyard, unbeknownst to my husband (until he reads this). Oh, I think all the concrete and stonework, marbles and glass are fascinating, but I also want to build someplace where I can go off by myself in quiet prayer and reflection. My ultimate goal would be to build my own chapel in my woods, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. 

Also, a reminder. Now through the end of June, for every book of mine which is purchased I will donate $8 to Tumaini Volunteers. "A Time for Every Purpose Under Heaven" and "The Christmas Story in 40 Days" are both available on Amazon.com, from the publisher, or shoot me an email (chrisloehmer@gmail.com) and I will mail you a signed copy. 

No comments: