Sunday, June 15, 2014

Are You a Servant?

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 
2 Timothy 3:16-17New International Version 
I was taking a walk around my town this week and had to take a picture of this door. It used to be the main entrance to Grace Lutheran Church, before they put on an addition, changing the narthex to the other side of the building. Now, this door is titled the “servant’s entrance”.

I think we all have a good idea what is meant by a “servant’s entrance, but I still had to google it. Most websites led me to a movie from the 1930s by the same name.

Free Dictionary however says it is “an entrance intended for the use of servants or for delivery of goods and removal of refuse.”

A website, “Scouting NY” had this to say when the writer of that site found a similar sign in New York: “Servants? Tradesmen? I imagine it’s been quite a number of years since this sign has had any applicability for the building’s tenants, but I love that it still exists as a fading relic of a bygone era.”

“A fading relic of a bygone era”? Is that saying that such signage is no longer around, that either there are no servants or they use the same entrance as everybody else?

I think that in this day and age such verbiage is totally in vogue when used on any house of worship. Shouldn’t we all be servants? Shouldn’t we all be welcomed into the house of the Lord as servants? Shouldn’t we all serve God and man?

Make me a servant
Humble and meek
Lord let me lift up those who are weak
And may the prayers of my heart always be
Make me a servant today.

(Words and Music by Kelly Willard)

No comments: