Sunday, June 8, 2014

What good things has God given you?

So in this way the Lord gave to Israel all the land he had promised to their ancestors, and they went in and conquered it and lived there. And the Lord gave them peace, just as he had promised, and no one could stand against them; the Lord helped them destroy all their enemies. Every good thing the Lord had promised them came true.
Joshua 21: 43-45(The Living Bible)

I seem to gravitate to the New Testament for my inspiration on this blog. There are so many passages in the New Testament that speak to our modern lives, passages which could have been written last week, instead of two thousand years ago.

In general, the New Testament, for me at least, is just plain easier to read.

Just a year ago, I started working my way through the Bible for the second time. I will read a few Old Testament books, then throw in some chapters from Psalms or Proverbs, or a whole book from the New Testament so that I can keep moving.

I just finished the Old Testament book of Joshua this week. Now there is a book with a story and lots of action which keeps a person’s interest. Only a few chapters are monotonous. Lots of verses can be applied today. My favorite would be “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 24:15)

Then I read this passage. “Every good thing the Lord had promised them came true.” What a great verse. That is me. I maybe don’t have it all, but I have everything which God has promised me – family, friends, a home, a steady job. As much as I complain some days, every day I want for nothing.

What about you?


Lord, God, thank you for everything, thank you for keeping your promise, thank you for satisfying my every need. Amen 
Good times with the family back in 1996. Ok, everyone was having a good time, except Val. 

No comments: