Thursday, August 14, 2014

Walking the Streets of Hatchet Creek - Day 9

On the off-chance that you have just now discovered my blog, let me fill you in on one thing that I have been doing this summer. And that is walking all of the streets of my hometown. (When I was a kid, some people called it Hatchet Creek, thus the name of this post.)

I have also been trying to post a picture of the map of our town, highlighting the streets I walk each week, but this week I didn’t walk many new streets. It’s hard to walk every street, back and forth, north to south, then east to west, so I miss a few in between. I picked some of them up last night and didn’t see much new. Except a yard of rocks – I could garden this way.

 Mostly, however, I wanted to walk around our old hospital. Since early spring, we have been hearing that it is being torn this summer, but a lot of my walks past it haven’t shown much progress (is demolition really progress?)

They have been tearing out all of the insides first, I guess, but it does look like it will come down very soon. A whole lot of people in this town are very sad to see that happening. 

Sigh. Yea, me too, but it had become an eyesore in the ten years it has sat empty and it is better to take the building down now and let it rest with some dignity as opposed to continuing to deteriorate.


I plan to post total before, during and after pictures as the time comes, so for now all you get are these which still tell the story. 

2 comments:

Kate said...

I really appreciate your tour of Tomahawk. It has been close to 40 years since I lived there and it has been a trip down memory lane with every one of your chronicles. Thank you. Kate "Keenan" Rasmussen

Chris Loehmer Kincaid said...

Thanks Kate. I'm glad that you are enjoying my ramblings.