Sunday, August 17, 2014

Where is our Home?

The little troubles we suffer now for a short time are making us ready for the great things God is going to give us forever. We do not look at the things that can be seen. We look at the things that cannot be seen. The things that can be seen will come to an end. But the things that cannot be seen will last forever. 2 Corinthians 4:17-18 New Life Version


For the past ten or twelve years my brother has held an annual family picnic. Because he is a retired bachelor, he spends most of the year cleaning and planning for just this one event. When the morning of this year’s picnic dawned, it was raining and the forecast didn’t hold out much hope for clearing skies. My brother has a beautiful large yard but a tiny house. He claimed he could fit two tables in his living room, one table each in his entry way and spare bedroom. I had doubts.

Four hours before the picnic was to begin, I called him and offered the use of my house. Previous parties of my own have proven I can fit 25 to 30 people comfortably in my living room and dining room. He declined my kind and rather hasty offer. Big sigh of relief on my part, but I was still concerned for his well-being in cramming the whole family in his abode.

His theory was this: the average party should only last two to two and a half hours. If people stay longer than that, they are too comfortable. Everyone should visit a little, eat a lot, visit a little more, and then leave. They don’t need to be comfortable.  

Now as I opened with, my brother has been doing this for many years, so he must enjoy having everyone over. He just doesn’t want anyone to overstay their welcome.

Shouldn’t we be the same way living our lives on planet Earth? It’s good to have fun, to be with those you care about, to live a full and productive life, but as Christians we should remember that this life is temporary. If we have times of discomfort and even of pain, we need to remind ourselves that God has an eternal home waiting for us, where there will always be room at the table and in the living room.  

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for all that You provide for us in this life. Help us to remember that especially in times when we are down, that someday You will call us to our eternal Heavenly Home. Amen

(Tiny house, but decent-sized garage. Maybe my next blog should be about butting out and letting my brother take care of things on his own. And also the first picture is of my son and not my brother, in case you were wondering.)


No comments: